Friday, February 15, 2008

Granadaaaaaaa, Spain

Greetings from Firenze! It is beautiful here! But right now I'm giong to tell you all a lil' about Spain before I forget...
(oh, and pictures will come LATER because I don't have the option of putting them up right now. but trust me. they are gorgeous)

I have now been traveling for a week. Ok, to all the peeps (coughLisacough) who can travel for six week stretches, I applaud you. It is exHAUSting! Ok so maybe I didn't sleep very much in Granada because that city NEVER sleeps and maybe I didn't sleep in Sevilla because I was having WAY too much fun with Chelsea and her roommate (more on that later) and now in Florence I haven't slept much because I'm CouchSurfing and there's too much to talk about with people. Ok so not sleeping is not a big deal at this point because cappuccinos in Florence are only a euro (!!) and I'm way sugared up on gelato (!!!) Oh MAN it's all happening... (morning looking out onto Granada)

GRANADA
Left for Granada, Spain, a week ago with Darija, the roomie. 7:20 train on a Friday? Awwwesome. Headed to Marseille, took Ryainair to Madrid.
One thing: I freakin' love Ryanair. They are CHILL. Down side? They haven't really entered the 21st century yet (um, they work with pen and paper, no computers, etc.). But updsides abound! Bright blue uniforms! Super cheap flights! Really easy check-in! Etc. Etc.
In Madrid we hopped on a bus down to Granada. The bus system in Spain is the bomb! We bought our tickets only half an hour before the bus was scheduled to leave and they only cost 15 euros to traverse the country. Ok, so it was a 5.5 hour bus trip but no biggie because it was cheap and that was awesome.
Arrived in Granada sometime around 9. Took the bus into town and went straight to our hostel which was run by this really nice guy (well, I'm assuming he's nice because he smiled a lot and gave us a map for free and circled the city's highlights for us but hey, I don't speak Spanish, so he could also have been talkin' smack right to my face and I would have just said "bueno." Like the aewsomely cultured American that I am). I'd like to say that Darija and I went out on our first night in Granada and partied it up (like all the Granada-ians do) but um no. We went straight to bed. Forgive me - we traveled for like 12 hours that day! And we got up at 6:00 am on Saturday for our...
Trip to the Alhambra. So amazing. Met up with Darija's cousin, Sasha, in line. She's traveling with us all this week. She lives in Dubai and has wanted to visit Darija while she's on this side of the world and it turns out that our week of travel workec for her schedule so we've been a threesome for awhile. Back to the Alhambra: I think it's one o the 7 wonders of the world and it TOTALLY deserves it. It is stunning. Got the (totally worth it) audio guide and wandered around the thing all morning. Learned a lot and saw a lot and took a lot of pictures.
Post Alhambra was an afternoon of wandering and enjoying Granada. The sun was shining and it was gorgeous so we sat outside and listened to local musicians play. Saw the world's greatest unibrow on a guy and, um, had to take a pic. That thing didn't separate for even one hair! Amazing! Viva Espana!
In the evening we went to a tapas bar. I drank Alhambra beer (I mean, how could I NOT?) and ate tortilla and chorizo and gloried in the grease. We then took a long walk up in the city (the city goes up a giant hill) so that we could see the Alhambra all lit up but we went to the wrong Mirador (look-out place) and ended up seeing Granada from way up high. That was beautiful, too!
Day 2 in Granada:
I ended up wandering all through Granada by myself as Darija and her cousin took a walking tour. I got lost, I found out where I was, I walked up, I walked down, I saw a church, I walked through the Arab markets, I smelled good food, I people-watched... it was great. Granada is a beautiful and happenin' city and there's so much history and culture there that it was awesome. Ooh! On day 1 of Granada (sorry, forgot to mention this) I was walking down the street with Darija and what should happen? I bumped into a girl with whom I went to middle and high school AND college. Craaaaazy.

Ok so that's what I can remember (for now) about Granada. I've done Sevilla and Cordoba since then, and I'm currently in Florence. Will be updating as soon as I can!

No comments: