Wednesday, October 17, 2007

American Idol (that's me!)

"Es-tu une fille ou un garçon ?"
(Are you a girl or a boy?)

I was asked this at school yesterday by my 8 year olds. Thanks, guys.

I realized yesterday that I'm pretty much a pop star in my schools. Remember how all the little kids are obsessed with "High School Musical"? Well, I happened to mention to them, after they started asking me (again) if I had ever met "Troy" or "Gabriella," that I had seen HSM both 1 and 2 and they all flipped out. Then a group of four girls split into "filles" and "garçons" to act out the finale from the second one. Really freaking cute. They then asked me to sing a song from one of the movies. Luckily I watched the movie on repeat during one week this summer so I knew the tunes of a few of the songs. So I sang a few songs for all the kids and they were freakin' out. Then of course they kept asking me to sing and sing and sing. They wanted me to sing in English and in French and then they wanted to know if I'd ever met J.Lo.

And then they asked if I'm a boy or a girl, if I'm married, and if I have kids.


Gotta love 'em!

Here's what I taught yesterday (drum roll, please):

the alphabet!
I taught it five different times!
I never want to hear the alphabet song EVER again!

I also taught the sounds "h" "m" "n" "r" and "th"
Tryin' to make it fun, I told them that "r" is like the "aaaaargh" a pirate makes like Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean" - that went over well :) "Th" is fun because the kids get to stick out their langues to make the sound. A lot of them have lost their two front teeth so I think the "th" sound is even harder. So there was a lot of spitting, which all the kids enjoyed.
The "h" has become a classic/favorite in all of my classes because I have them pant like dogs. Comme les chiens. I'm sure their parents would be so proud.

Did I get beyond the alphabet? Not really. Well we did 'pant' to say "Hello" and "Happy Halloween," but, other than that, no. So far we've done a little self-presentation but that's about it. Next week is "Halloween" week ("No, kids, not Appy Alloween! Happy Halloween!") so hopefully I'll be able to bring in lots of fun vocabulary that they will (maybe?) retain and we'll have a ton of fun.

And I might bring in a CD of High School Musical so we can all sing "We're All in this Together." Ain't nothin' like American pop songs to get my kiddies going!

3 comments:

anand jay said...

those kids sound amazingly cute. wtg being awesome and teaching them english!

xo

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LOVE.

(Mwahaha, I'd made it in time, even in whatever the French time zone is.)

-YEE

BeagleMusic said...

Sounds like you are having a blast! You need to teach them, while they're missing those teeth, "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth!" I used to teach that to my first graders and it was so funny and cute to hear them sing that song!

Tam (aka BeagleMusic)