Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Saturday night in Avignon

Hello again!
I just wanted to blog about my night last night.
A few of us met at Robyn's to drink some wine (thank you, Cote du Rhone) and chat before heading out to a gay bar "Le Repere (insert accent grave on the second e)." This would be my first gay bar experience in Avignon and I was PUMPED. The idea was that on Saturday nights this bar has drag of some sort so I was even MORE pumped because my eyes are starved for drag kings and queens.
After learning how to do the "bridge" with cards upside down (the cards were upside down, not me), we aller-ed there and found a rather empty bar and a poster saying "Loto." There was a beautiful drag queen all in black (duh, we're in France) walking around and there looked to be about 5 customers. We all sat down, Slawa ordered a kiwi beer (what!?) and we chatted for awhile.

Um, Loto is like the American Bingo.
So what did I do last night?

I played Bingo at a gay bar in Avignon with the city's gay men and drag queens. There were prizes offered! On a table before us, as incentive for buying our Loto cards and spending more time there, were stuff to win such as a giant thing of toilet paper, a fryer, a coffee maker (dammit I bought one this week!), a package of waffles (yum, gaufres!), a can of sardines, some laundry detergent, etc. The first person who won received the classiness that is a box of milk (yup, we box it here AND we don't sell it from the fridge!) and the can of sardines. Woohoo. Chris went home with the fryer so methinks we'll be having a fried goods night at some point.

That was my Saturday night in Avignon. Kiwi beer, toilet paper prizes, drag queens, and bingo. Bienvenue!

No comments: