Friday, June 13, 2008

Normandy, continued...

Ok so I just got back from an incredibly stressful day of sitting at the local cafe, sipping on pacalo (that's lemon syrup and water... aka, lemonade but... better) and reading a new book.

Where were we?

Ah, the Pointe-du-Hoc. V. cool.

Next on the stop was Omaha Beach. My apologies, but I will now be lazy on all the history because I don't know it all well enough and I feel that you can go wikipedia it to get a better idea. I wouldn't want to misinform you or just copy and paste from that fave wiki of ours. So basically, Omaha Beach = v. important. The sea ran red. It's known as "Bloody Omaha." (to the left is the beach, to the right is the memorial sculpture)


Then Omaha Beach Museum
Aaaaaand next we hit up the Omaha Beach Museum which was very small but completely packed with replicas from the battle. That is, replicas of uniforms, replicas of machinery, replicas of newspaper articles/letters/etc. A lot of primary documents, too, which makes the history geek in me freak out a lot.
On a sidenote, I also got a deeeeeelicious vanilla coffee there which just made it a very good way to continue the afternoon. Oh how I love flavored coffee.

We ended with the American Cemetery. Just as you've seen it in the museums. Rows upon rows of white crosses. And white stars of David. Perfectly aligned. The white markers stood out on the fields of green, people milling about, placing flowers, taking pictures. It was every bit as moving as I expected it to be and I'm so glad I got an opportunity to see it up close and personal.


So that's that, my friends. Beauty, history history history, great day.

2 comments:

nicole said...

haha, it's pac à l'eau. actually i don't know about the pac/paque/pacque part...but definitely it's à l'eau!! grenadine à l'eau, menthe à l'eau...

laviedemilie said...

this makes so much more sense!
manythanks