Tuesday, May 20, 2008

not gonna lie

yesterday was a bad day.

but today was SO GOOD!

It comes down to two things

1: I tried giving three fifteen year-old girls English lessons to help them review for their exam tomorrow. Turns out I learned probably as much as they did (you know, what verb tenses we have and all of that) but I think I explained what they needed pretty well so *phew* am not total failure in my own language.

2: I saw my kids perform in their "conte musical" ce soir (after five minutes of not remember what we call that in English, it was pointed out to me that a 'conte musical' is, indeed, a musical). These kids have been working on this shindig for TWO YEARS, writing the story, the lyrics, the instrumental parts. Their music teacher wrote the accompaniment and the kids just sang with such gusto. I, of course, understood not a word because hi, sung French? Really hard to understand. Mumbly sung little-kid French? Even harder. And yeah, my comprehension isn't where it needs to be. But that's ok! Because it was all just so cute! I knew every single kid on the stage - I have interacted with each and every one of them. I know I have gotten at least one smile out of each student. As insane as they are, they're also eager little kids who just want to play and have fun and make their parents proud and joke around with each other.

That was great.

Tomorrow? Road trip!!

No comments: