Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cannes!

"Riiiiiiiise and shiiiiiiiiiine and give God your glory glory! Riiiiiiise and shiiiiiiine and give God your gl-"

You're right. It's a little too early for that.

This morning I'm listening to a French CD of Celine Dion's in order to feel more French as the day begins. And, um, if my iTunes happens to play "That's the Way it Is" because that comes after the CD then... well... so be it. And I may or may not get really happy when it comes on.

So this weekend I went to Cannes! To visit Alice! And it was beautiful, just like my homegirrrrl.

This is our New York Times wedding photo. They might list us as Tall and Small in it. Or like Venti and Grande. Or Awesome McGee and the homie. Something like that. That in the background... that's a real sunset. In real-live Cannes. That was on the real beach. We are for real not wearing gloves or hats or scarves (sacre bleu!) in January.

JANUARY.

Whoa.

Left for Cannes yesterday Friday afternoon. As the train pulled into the station I couldn't help but start tearing up... here's my first connection to Home all up here in France. Yes, I know I had ma famille in England, but it's different because Alice is completely connected to my whole life all up in the States. After some miscommunication over where I was arriving (bus station? train station? bus? train?) we had a lovely reunion on the streets of the city.

And then we went directly to the grocery store. Do not pass go, do not collect 200, we went and bought some cookies. And cheese. And a lil wine. But mostly cookies and cheese.

And we spent the weekend eating, walking around, taking pictures of ourselves being beautiful, and just straight chillin'. I met tons of the people in her very cool-sounding program (she'll be living in Paris till June, taking classes to learn French and taking art history classes... I want to do that!) and they're from all over the country with allt heir different stories so there was lots of bavarder-ing all around.

So I'm pretty sure that Cannes doesn't have too much to offer other than the Film Festival, which is in May, and the beach. So the fact that Alice and I spent Saturday afternoon weaving in and out of stores looking for jeans and shoes is not a big deal and totally worth it, right? Because yes, I found a pair of jeans and they're not the skinny jeans, they're not 800 meters long, they're not gothic cargo... so they're perf! Hollah!

(Look! They're not wearing any pants! Vive la France!)

Did I tell you about that time that Alice and I were walking along the pier at eleven o'clock in the morning and we stumbled upon a black lacy thong? And I giggled hysterically and said something like "Vive la France." And the guy walking past me said "Vive les filles." Hahahaha. I think that's funny. Anyone else? Oh p.s. I think there's a thong-leaving epidemic here... just saw one yesterday morning on Rue Carnot!

And here's today's final picture of the Cannes-man taking his morning jog. Clearly this guy is fit and knows just how to rock it in January...


Raise your hand if you're shaking from too much caffeine!

No comments: