Thursday, January 31, 2008

A lil' update

So there are good days and there are bad days here in the 'non.

Bad days? Like that one time when I was teaching colors of the rainbow to my littlest (ages 6 and 7) kids and I had to walk around a little girl's puddle of throw as I was saying "bluuuuuuuue" and "orrrrrrange." Not so cool. Or like that one time when I made a little girl cry when we were doing family. Or like that one time when I got sent to the principal's office during class.

What the heck?

Yeah, during my awesome mcgee CM1 class, the teacher's aide pulled me in and was like "the principal wants to see you!" So immediately my heart started pounding. Thank the lo'd I'm not prone to flop sweat or I woulda been a puddle fo' sho. So I went to the principal and she's all wild-eye and crazy-lookin' and proceeded to ask me if I had my carte de sejour (the card that says I'm legal to stay and work in France b/c I have a job). Um, no I didn't have my card on me. "Well you need it!" "Um, ok, why?" "You need to fax it! Can you fax it? W e need to fax it right away! Fax it!" "uh, ok." "The Academie needs it as soon as possible! As soon as possible! Can you fax it today or tomorrow?" "Sure." (at this point my heart has pounded out of my chest because I'm thinking that I'm going to get deported or something.) Then I was allowed to return to class. Where we played xylophones and it was awesome.

Did I fax my carte de sejour?

Of course I didn't. I completely forgot.

Crud. I swear, it'll get done today!

And life in Avignon has really good days, too.

Like the fact that yesterday after my amazing breakfast (I intend to someday dedicate an entire post to how much I like breakfast) and my (way too much) time in front of the comp, I went and saw "Into the Wild" with Robyn and then we went and spent the rest of the afternoon together, eating a delicious lunch and chillin' in the kitchen drinking coffee and tea and laughing it up with Darija (that's me and the D in the pic).

Like the fact that yesterday was Nicole's birthday and holy crow I love that woman and her crepe dinner was the bomb (despite Avignon's most annoying waiter? Yeah, he wins that prize) and the company was awesome. And a post-crepe prendre of un verre at Liptzik (anyone read that as Lipstick? Or Lipzit? ) with the rest of the assistants was good, too. (L to R: Emily, katie, Amy, Robyn)

Like the fact that in one week and a day I'll be embarking on a ridiculously long vacation to Spain and Italy and it's guaranteed to be awesome. I'll hostel it, I'll CouchSurf, I'll eat tapas and pasta till I explode and I'll see amaaaaazing things. Then I'll come back and HEATHER WILL BE HERE and whoa I nearly cried from excitement just writing that and... yeah. Life has its ups, eh?

Was informed yesterday that the 4th markdown for sales has happened at this one store that I pass every day and it will take every ounce of willpower that I have not to go buy something. So I probably will. Ahhhhh.

Oohh Oooh! Am about to embark on a music thing with some peeps that should be amazing. Three women. Three-part harmony. Cover songs. Suggestions? So far we have...
The Shape I Found you In (duh)
Say Goodbye (duh again)
Angel from Montgomery
You and I Both

Keep 'em coming!

k.thx.bye.

No comments: