Monday, January 7, 2008

First day back post-Christmas

I think I ate fish eggs tonight.

Take a minute. Think about that.

Today was my first day back with the kids and it was an AWESOME time. Seriously, the most fun I've had at school in awhile - my kids just had me cracking up. They were all so excited about the new year and dang they are still so good with my ego - I hear "Emily Jolie" all day long. This one little girl in particular keeps telling me I'm trop belle which is great and the next time I go to Angleterre, they all want to go with me. They'll fit into my suitcase.

My little kids? Remembered "Must Be Santa" that we sang TWO WEEKS AGO. They can barely remember their own names but they remembered Raffi's hit (in my childhood home) of 1989 or who knows when. They also remember "belly button" and "red" but they can't remember "brown" or "feet." We'll get there. Eventually.

Oh so my day was really awesome and upbeat and encouraging all the way until the end. When I got to the bus stop. You know how there's that bus driver who always breezes right past me? Well there's always another bus that comes approximately one minute after him and that's the bus I take to get home from Sorgues to Avignon. Today there was no second bus. This translates into NOT awesome. What did this mean? I had to wait for another bus and the buses only run once every hour so... I had to wait. An extra hour. In Sorgues. Which is kinda like a pit stop on the way to hell? Oh yeah - not to do a TMI or anything but... I really had to pee. And finding a toilette that's free in Sorgues? Impossible. Was everything but creepy bars shut at 5:00? Yup. Did I have to go into a creepy bar filled with only creepy men to ask about the bathroom? Yup. Did I order a coffee just to look 'chill' and then go check out the bathroom and OH it was a hole in the ground? YUP.

First hole-in-the-ground toilette I've had since I moved here. Fabulous.

Got the bus back to Avignon and went to an eight million course dinner at Micaela's for Darija's Christmas. That's when I ate fish eggs. Fish eggs on guacamole on fish on pumpkin. I felt like I was on "Top Chef" like whoa. And then of course there was turkey and stuffing. And then there was salad. And then there was chocolate freakin' fondue with fruit. Brilliant!

With that, I bid you good night. May you all arrive at sleep like whoa!

No comments: