Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Salzburg and Munich, 2008!

So that was Dachau! And my first night in Munich!
On Wednesday Lisa and I made it out to a whole other country... Austria.

The hills were SO alive because we went to Salzburg.
We solved a problem like Maria.
We tea-ed, a drink with jam and bread.
And we eidelweissed.

So great.

Well, first off, I have to blame my host, Chaka Khan, for getting me RIDICULOUSLY even further addicted to caffeine in the few short days I had at her house. It's just that DANG that espresso machine was so shiny and sleek and so of course I had to use it a bunch of times. A BUNCH of times. I now definitely cannot sleep past 8:00 and must have espresso immediatement. oh well.

Lisa and I made it to Salzburg for a lunch at the Heart of Joy Cafe - a vegetarian/vegan bagel/breakfast place.

This is the part where I tell you what I ate!
A seitan bagel with lettuce, tomato, adn mustard. A mango yogurt drink. Deliciousness!
I thought seitan was mushroom? Nope, turns out it's fake meat. So when she brings me this awesome-looking bagel with friggin' ham on it i'm like you gotta be KIDDING me! and I don't know how to say ANYthing in German! So I just pointed and said "meat? seitan?" to which she replied, yup it's fake meat. Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I have a long way to go learning about veganism, apparently

Then Lisa and I decided to do our very own Sound of Music Tour. I'd done some research earlier and the two tours offered in Salzburg are 35 euros, 4 hours each, and on TripAdvisor.com, they didn't get the greatest reviews. So LIsa and I went cheap-o and made our own! Meaning we ran around the city pointing at things and saying "I think this is where they marched across the square! This is defnitely it! No wait, THIS is it! Let's sing!"

Seriously we frolicked and the one song that was in my head teh whole time was "I have confidence." Freaking sweet.

We walked up to the abbey - you know, where "when G-d closes the door, somewhere he opens a window." And we saw the Alps which are beautiful and they're so stunning they lookkinda fake.

We also saw Mozart-y stuff! I mean, the guy did live there. We saw his birth place, his residence, a museum, a giant statue, Mozartplatz... I got in on a French tour of Mozart-ia and I understood what the guide was saying! I couldn't believe it. That was great.

Salzburg is beautiful! The flowers were GORGEOUS. I felt like I was channeling Julie Andrews for REAL and now, of course, I have to see SOM as soon as possible.

Back to Munich for the night - Chaka took us to Chinese food and we had a nighttime tour of Munich via her Jeep. Very cool

1 comment:

J said...

I did a SOM tour last year when I went to Salzburg. It seemed to be worth the 30 euros since it took us out of Salzburg and into the mountains. We also stayed at a hostel that showed the movie every night. I heart Osterreich !!

I'm dying to go to Munich one of these days. I'm going to Berlin next week at least. But somehow I think I'd like Bavaria even more.