Friday, April 25, 2008

Sing-a-ling

So Monday night I went to Red Sky for the open mike with, I swear, no plans to play. But then the (super cute!) guy was singing and had a band backing him up and everything adn I was, essentially, itching to get up there and play/sing. So...

I did. And it was awesome. And my peeps were there and we all sang songs that had us throwback to the olden days of Natalie Imbruglia, Alanis Morrissette and the Four Non Blondes, comme d'hab. The best part of it? Besides the fact that the whole place was singing along and swaying at the appropriate moments and, in general, just looking really happy? The best part after all that was that I played with a drummer. and a bassist. and a guy who sang backup harmonies. For three songs... I was in a band. And it sounded so good!

So exciting!

And also, the bartender at Red Sky is great and, when I ordered my friend's beer (nope, not for me!) he was dancing like a maniac (on the dancefloor) and it put me in a really good mood. I decided on Monday night that we should be bffs.
So in the SIX HOURS that I spent sitting outside Red Sky today, I made multiple trips inside, natch. Def not for beer every time (hi, I had like 18 liters of water... I had to, you know, go) but one time I did go in for beer (again! for a friend!) and I came out with a free one!

Mais, comment, Emilie!?

He was playing Faith Hill (hi, literally in seven months I have not heard a single Faith Hill song) and I decided to sing along. Again, natch. So I hammed it up with him after I ordered the demi blanche and sang to him (lounge cantoring, anyone?*) and he had me follow him up the step to his turn table. Oh MAN he's a DJ, too? Then he handed me a mike, turned the song to the beginning, and had me personally karaoke him that song "You'll Be" (i think that's what it's called?)

can you say rrrrrrrrrandom!
And then these various mecs were like "bravo!" and I think one of them wanted to bise me (yup, that means give me the bises on the cheek, nothing more!) and I was awkward because I didn't realize and so I ducked out and Monsieur le Bartender gave me my beer, free of charge.

HOLLAH!
And he's like "woohoo! see you on Monday night! you're going to sing again, girl with the pretty voice!"

That was an awesomely random part of my day.

*inside church joke!

No comments: